Building a tube guitar amp may look complicated, but you can make one too.
Building a tube guitar amp when you are not an electrician may sound impossible? Fortunately, there are DIY tips on how to build a guitar amp from scratch that you can follow to build one on your own.
Tip #1: Consider the safety measures
Before anything else, you need to understand how essential to work safely with high voltages. Remember that amp voltages can injure you, worst it can kill you. So, try to learn a few safety measures when building a tube guitar amp.
Here are a few things you need to take note of:
- Keep an ELB (Earth Leakage Breaker) with you. This device will protect you from possible accidental contact with 240 Volts mains.
- Never build your amplifier in a damp area; preferably, work it in a dry and safe place. Also, make sure to wear insolated shoes.
- Insolate all the wirings of 240 volts mains. Use heat-shrink tubing that will help insulate the primary leads for mains switches, fuse holders, and even the power transformers.
- Make sure to check if the earth pin of the mains plug and the amp chassis are at zero resistance.
- Make sure that the transformer lugs and the top caps of the output valves are properly insulated.
- Before working, make sure to unplug the mains lead from the amp. Also, wait for the high voltage capacitors to discharge.
Tip #2: Prepare your tools
Here is a list of tools you need to prepare:
- Wire cutters
- Needle-nose pliers
- Wire strippers
- Soldering iron
- Reverse-action tweezers
- Philips-head screwdriver
- Digital multimeter
- Rat-tail file
- Extractor fan (optional) to provide ventilation when soldering.
Tip #3: Look for the easiest layout
Since it is your first time building a tube guitar amp, look for the easiest design. Fortunately, there are DIY tube guitar amp kits that you can purchase, which contain pre-punched chassis, easy-to-install parts, and instructions that are easy to follow. If you are to choose a layout, look for one that is easy to understand and install.
There are two popular DIY tube guitar amp kits that you may consider working:
- Boothill Amp Kit
It is inexpensive and ideal for beginners. The kit contains speaker cabs, a stash of tubes, a step-by-step user manual, and more.
The kit contains several items that will allow you to install the amp in one swoop.
Tip #4: Start from the beginner’s phase
If you are new to electronics, you should consider starting from the easiest. Choose circuits with lots of parts and models that are easily available. Practice on models that you can handle well. Do not miss critical steps provided by the kits.
Finally, you may read books about designing and building a guitar tube amp. Do not rush designing your guitar tube amp. For beginners, it is always ideal building a guitar amp that is safe and easy to handle. Also, read reliable posts like this to find kits that will suit your current skills.